Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dad's 60th (a year late)

What do you get the family patriarch for his 60th birthday? Why a day at the range of course, shooting the gun he grew up with. Unfortunately, it took Jeff and I nearly a year to actually set up the outing. But it was worth the wait. Jeff bought an outrageous number of tosses for sporting clays and away we went.

We had three guns in the line up:



The pump action Remington 870 Express. I always appear disgusted with this gun, even when I am breaking clays just fine. Clearly I have to work on a more pleasant neutral facial expression.



Great Grandfather's Remington 1900 side by side (now in 20 gauge). Dad couldn't hit a thing with this gun and I wasn't doing much better. Since this outing I have concentrated solely on getting better with the old gal with some success.



Jeff's new Beretta "Silver Pigeon" (I think) over-under in 20 gauge. Aside from issues with the safety (you have to disengage it to shoot) Jeff seemed like he had pretty nice gun. However I hear he was not too pleased with his performance so he went back out a couple of weeks later and blew through 300 shots in an afternoon.

Aside from the incredible heat and humidity, it was a great time. Hopefully we won't have to wait another year for the three of us to get back out there.

No comments: