Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Guest Post - A Musing on "Cuteness"

My name is Harrison Hart and I'd like to take a moment of your time to discuss a topic near and dear to my heart - cuteness. "Dada" is napping right now, poor guy was up all night once again caring for the new arrival. He left me with a video I've seen perhaps two score times and I do believe I finally tire of being instructed by sock puppets on how the typical day goes on the farm. "Moo-moo, oink-oink," I get it. And I really didn't need to know where eggs come from.

Anyway, Dada foolishly left his email up and logged on and I've been perusing some of the responses to his announcement email. "Adorable... So cute... Doesn't look like Dada." I must say I've about had it with these pronouncements. What do you know of cuteness? Let me instruct you as I am, humbly, a true student of the concept.

Cuteness is more than a big head and the proper ratio of eye:nose size. Sure Eleanor has a big head, that's been discussed here already, and her eyes are both large and nicely almond shaped, but these are just the superficial aspects of cuteness. Where's the clever retort using just a syllable or two?

"Would you like to watch a video on where eggs come from?"
"No."
"Ahh, it's so cute when you don't understand what I'm asking you."

I'm sorry, that was really more irony I guess but you get the idea. Eleanor doesn't do anything. She just sits there. If you step on her face, she barely even cries. That's not cute, that's odd.

Uh oh, the big one stirs. I will try to elaborate in future posts but for now I must say "buh-bye."

No comments: